If you are looking for an energy-efficient ceiling fan, the DC motor ceiling fan is one of the best choices. DC motor consumes less energy (almost 40% less energy) that's why people prefer DC motor fans to traditional AC fans.
The query is how to get the best DC motor ceiling fan. Here you will read out that which brands offer the best and most energy-efficient DC motors. Many brands produce high-quality DC motor ceiling fans, but few are the best brands that produce top-quality DC ceiling fans. Such as, Minka Aire, Westinghouse Lighting, and Luminance, brands are the oldest ones in the listing and providing a full line of ceiling fans and lighting products. While Lucci Air, reiga, and Ovlaim are not old brands but they are producing few reliable yet stylish dc motor ceiling units.
Have a glance at a compiled listing of the top-rated brands that are offering some of the best DC motor ceiling fans.
Best Overall: Minka-Aire F868L-WHF Sleek
Runner Up: Westinghouse Lighting 7203900 Techno II
High-End: Luminance CF515NA72ORB Dorian Eco
2 Blades: Minka-Aire F846-SL Wave II
DC Motor Ceiling Fan Reviews
1. Best Overall
Minka Aire offers a wide range of DC ceiling fans in the market. It won't be wrong at all if we say Minka Aire is the only brand that producing all-inclusive DC motor ceiling fans (as writing in June 2021).
We have checked out all dc fans and came to the decision that Minka-Aire F868L-WHF Sleek is outclassed. It comes up with all desired features such as remote control, impressive LED integrated light kit, stylish wood blades, eco-friendly (DC) motor, modern sleek design, above all this unit sets with the Smart Home Tech that's at your fingertips usual, including Google Home, Amazon Alexa, and Nest, in short, all in one.
See more 60 inch ceiling fans by other brands
- It works perfectly with a smart device.
- Easy to follow installation instructions
- Better choice than Big Ass Fan
- Remote stopped working to turn on/off the light.
2. Runner Up
Westinghouse Lighting 7203900 Techno II is ideal for the big rooms over 225 square feet whether it is a bedroom, living or drawing-room. This 72-inch is a remote control with a light unit that offers to operate in any season such as the light can be on, off or dim, and the fan speed has six speeds (traditional remote ceiling fans come up with three-speed).
The brand, as usual, produces a high-quality DC motor for prominent long-lasting performance and assures the lifetime warranty and lowers the bill. The LED light kit is beautifully manufactured with opal frosted glass which itself makes sure the guarantee.
See more 72 inch ceiling fans by other brands
- A beautiful choice for big areas (more beautiful in person)
- Remote is included in the package.
- Specifications are complete.
- A longer downrod is required for big rooms (4" isn't enough).
- Minka Aire is quieter than this one
3. Our Pick
The ceiling-hugging base of Matthews IR3H-TB-WA-42 Irene fan does not move, which creates less noise than fans that use a down rod. The installation instructions should be much more specific and better written, but one pleasant surprise was the inclusion in addition to remote control an optional wireless wall controller if you prefer at no extra cost!
You would find it easy enough to assemble with 9 screws - they provide hex keys so there's really no excuse for using your fingers or teeth (safety first!). This little plastic device is quieter than most other models on the market by far.
- The best option for a living room
- A complete package by a high-end brand
- Very well balanced and quiet
- Color is slightly different from the images.
4. Honorable Mention
Lucci Air ceiling brand is producing the best DC ceiling fans. Lucci Air 210506010 Akmani, 60 inch, 3 blades ceiling fan comes up with solid wood teak colored blades and the hub is made up of solid steel that it won't make a wobble sound.
This remote control ceiling fan runs in 120 volts and 36 watts which is near eco-friendly. It is a wise decision for higher ceilings and big areas, not for vaulted ceilings at all.
- Wiring is long downrod-friendly.
- Blades and housing are well-engineered.
- A manual guide is missing.
- The remote control isn't as functioning as Minka Aire fan's remote.
5. High-End Pick
Luminance (Emerson) itself is a name of reliability. Luminance CF515NA72ORB 60" Dorian Eco is a sleek modern design and easy to keep it maintained. Its 5 blades are beautifully curved with solid wood that gives a natural look.
This 60 inches fan is the best for big areas, as this unit is integrated with the company's most demanding "The premium DC EcoMotor" which consumes 70% less energy, a very eco-friendly ceiling fan this is. It runs in 120 volts and requires just 18 watts. However, the aforementioned is not remote control, simply can operate it from the switch.
- The high-end motor works smoothly.
- It's absolutely silent.
- Lots of air even at slow speed
- None so far
6. Most Powerful Motor
Lucci Air 210522010 Climate is a 4 blades ceiling fan, another model from the same brand. The brand itself is not that popular but its manufacturing quality is gaining its name year to year. This unit is also an energy-efficient DC motor ceiling fan. It not as sleek as the first one (reviewed earlier).
It will match in fancy furniture, the blades are walnut-colored, and antique look. The fan has two certificates namely; CETL, and ETL. It is good for the dining area, right above the table. It comes up with following three mounting options; sloped, angled and standard.
- This Lucci fan has a more powerful DC motor than Westinghouse Light and Hunter.
- Sleek and clean housing
- Blades look a little old-school in person.
7. Best Durability
Lucci Air 21051901 Radar is a 3 teak blades ceiling fan, are easier to clean. This is not only a DC fan but also a low profile ceiling fan. It comes up with a 7. 6 inches wall mount which includes in the package. Its additional and handy feature is the remote control, you can easily on and off while lying down in the bed.
It is suitable for the bedroom, that the teak blades can match from the furniture. Overall, a sleek originated ceiling fan that strikes a cool look. It is available in two finishes, if the furniture requires a deep-colored unit then you must go for its other oil rubbed bronze finish.
See more 52 inch ceiling fans by other brands
- It's DIY-friendly if you follow the given instructions.
- A modern look with a powerful DC motor and stylish blades
- It runs quietly with lots of air.
- The remote is a bit odd from a distance.
8. Also Consider
Lucci Air 210526010 Climate II is here for the ones who are looking to have the same design fans in the whole house. It comes up in following 4 different colors in slightly different price tags; Antique Brass with Walnut Blades, Brushed Chrome With Silver Blades, Charcoal With Charcoal Blades and White With White Blades.
This antique style 52-inch fan has 3 blades that are made up of Brass, Wood. It lets you operate from the remote control with comfort in 6 speeds. It runs in 120 Volt, 60Hz which is quietly supportable.
- The solid-built unit runs super quiet.
- Clean blades design makes cleaning a breeze.
- No balancing kit is required; it works well even at high speed.
- Installation isn't DIY-friendly.
9. Unique Design
Minka Aire is the most leading brands in DC ceiling fan category. It produces high-quality material and finishes for the making of ceiling fans. Minka-Aire F846-SL Wave II is a durable 2 blades unit, which gives a helicopter look.
The 60 inches blades are designed uniquely and superbly. It has many features such as you can run it in variable speed (it's not remote control tho). It is good for the living room (a friendly note; never have it in the bedroom).
- It runs smoothly with tons of air
- Quiet operation at a reasonable price
- The best option in the "two blades" fan category
- Never forget to clean the dust on the top of the blades before reversing the fan.
DC Ceiling Fan VS AC Ceiling Fan
Which One is Better Ceiling Fan? DC VS AC
Many countries and cities are hot in summer, and it is essential to maintain the room's temperature with the use of a ceiling fan. The ceiling fans run day and night by consuming electricity. Everyone wants to place a ceiling fan that should be energy efficient. There are DC fans, and AC ceiling fans are present. The DC stands for direct current, and AC stands for alternative current. In the DC ceiling fan, the current will travel or flow in only one direction, although the current reverses its order in the case of AC ceiling fans.
The Technical Aspect
The DC ceiling fans consume less energy compared to AC ceiling fans. The AC motors connected to the power source, this power source create an amount of force which rotates the motor of the ceiling fan By rotate rotor. In this regard it takes a large amount of electricity.
The DC motors of the ceiling fan are connected directly to the transformer and provide direct current to run the ceiling fan. The DC ceiling fans cost low electricity bills and make ceiling fans affordable.
The Advantages of DC Ceiling Fans over AC Ceiling Fans
- DC ceiling fan saves almost 70% energy- considered an energy-efficient product with current innovative use.
- These are compact in design and are not heavy. The control of these ceiling fans is speed, like speed changing, remote control, and other options works quickly. These fans are fast. That is why up to 4-speed options are available in the case of DC motors.
- These fans are lightweight to carry and are durable in use.
Disadvantages of DC Ceiling Fans over AC Ceiling Fans
- The DC ceiling fans are pricey and are not affordable due to the high-quality construction procedure. So those looking for inexpensive ceiling fans cannot purchase DC motor ceiling fans.
- The control systems in the case of DC motor ceiling fans are less like chain pulling, wall control, etc. These come with only remote control, and remotes can be lost over time.
The Advantages of AC Ceiling Fans over DC Ceiling Fans
- The AC motor ceiling fans are less expensive and very easy to find. Although the DC motor saves energy, the purchase of DC motor ceiling fans is costly. The buyer can save money by minimizing the running hours of AC ceiling fans.
- There are numerous options to control the AC ceiling fans, like wall control and pull chain systems, because there are many chances of losing the remote control. Still, some DC ceiling fans are also available for wall switch with extra charges (amount).
- Some AC motor ceiling fans are also energy efficient and take 100 watts for their work; these are available in different brands.
The Disadvantages of AC Ceiling Fans over DC Ceiling Fans
- Only three options of speed maximum are available for AC motor ceiling fans, and these fans are usually slow.
- The AC motors create noise and irritating sound at settings 1.
- These are less durable as compared to the DC motor ceiling fans.
Ceiling Fan Size Chart
(in square feet)
0 - 75
0 - 36
76 - 114
36 - 42
145 - 225
42 - 50
226 - 360
50 - 54
360 - 500
54 - 70
Each item occurs a manual that customers can easily install and keep it maintained. As you have read the top-rated DC motor ceiling fans reviews, you must have noticed that Emerson offers its one of the best DC motors. Lucci Air is also a good option but if you are looking for the reliability then go for Westinghouse Lighting and Emerson's DC ceiling fans.